Thursday, February 17, 2011


Swallow in a heat wave

Was it when you were at the docks
That they handed it to you
That which made you look skyward
And saw the flashing of the satellite
Pristine turtles idle on the slippery moss
And I left the sails unfurled
Waiting for the wind to wake her up
But all in all a touch of nothing
To leave the desired mark on my heart
Wasn’t it when you were on the pier?
When they let you go
They, who so wisely saw your grace,
Or just another pretty face?
I saw so many boats at the marina
Across from the Salvador Dali’ museum
You came over, wanted to hold hands
And the forced perspective made you small
It didn’t come out right or come out at all
The stains in the mixture mixed with dye
And the colored sky turned a purple and white
No more room entered here for foot in mouth
Paintings in blossom, tulips fringed edge
I know the cloudy banks riddle us all
And question the query in our souls
The clouds cover the Earth and shadow the bay
Holding on to hope like a child sick with fever
Was this the place where you became ill?
Down by the platform bobbing on its chain
I stepped on the bus and never looked back
Concrete sidewalks pass by like years
And the solemn face left was left in tears
Was this where they found you?
Gave it back in forms of precious stones?
And led you to the grass on the other side
Deep down we know the truth
This is the place where you died
And on this Decoration Day
A carnation I lay near the head stone
I’m so sorry that I left you all alone
Now my head turns away and slowly grows smaller
Like a swallow in a heat wave, I may crash and burn
But for all my life in life I learn
The water you swallowed –
The flood came with ill repute and flashed away
I wish you hadn’t gone sailing on that day
Now then, sun, burn the land dry
And dry the cheeks on which I cry
For people live
And people die

03-29-01


No comments:

Post a Comment